.....Welcome to my Blog.....I'm delighted to have you!.....Have a great day and come back often!

Monday, October 6, 2008

"For This and More" 10/07/08

Determination to Die Rather than Deny

"I wish time would permit us to fully explore the spiritual breadth of Hyrum's testimony as reflected in his sermons and teachings. Perhaps this one quotation will suffice. . . . Said Hyrum: 'I had been abused and thrust into a dungeon, and confined for months on account of my faith, and the "testimony of Jesus Christ." However I thank God that I felt a determination to die, rather than deny the things which my eyes had seen, which my hands had handled, and which I had borne testimony to, wherever my lot had been cast; and I can assure my beloved brethren that I was enabled to bear as strong a testimony, when nothing but death presented itself, as ever I did in my life' ("A History of the Persecution, of the Church of Jesus Christ, of Latter-day Saints in Missouri," Times and Seasons, Dec. 1839, p. 23)."When death finally did present itself, Hyrum chose to accept it. Now, that may seem an odd choice of words, given the circumstances that confronted Joseph and Hyrum . . . at Carthage on 27 June 1844. But according to a First Presidency blessing given to him in 1835, Hyrum was promised power to escape his enemies if he so chose. Listen to the words of the blessing: 'Thou shalt have power to escape the hand of thine enemies. Thy life shall be sought with untiring zeal, but thou shalt escape. If it please thee, and thou desirest, thou shalt have the power voluntarily to lay down thy life to glorify God' (Kirtland High Council Minutes, Dec. 1832-Nov. 1837, typescript, p. 186, LDS Church Archives)."With perfect faith in the Lord's promise, Hyrum was able to face mobs and persecutions, always knowing that he would eventually escape and return to his family. But at Carthage, the time had come to voluntarily lay down his life to glorify God and to 'seal his testimony with his blood' (D&C 136:39)--together with his beloved brother Joseph.

"Topics: Hyrum Smith, faith M. Russell Ballard, "Brothers Bound by Love and Faith," Ensign, Sept. 1994, 65



“For This and More”

cji
10/07/08

Standing the line
unwavering none
for this and more
a testimony true
one willing to give
life and yet all
holding the Iron Rod
having seen and heard
never to deny or fall
for this and much more.

(Addendum:

Yet so many cry in vain
deny and falsify his life
loudly to shout profane
hurling abuse and a knife!)

Copyright © 2008 – cji